At the ASPCA, we’re wishing you a Valentine’s Day filled with furry snuggles, cat cuddles and doggie kisses! We also want to make sure you have the information you need to celebrate the holiday safely with your beloved pet. By now, most pet parents have heard that chocolate treats pose dangers to dogs, but the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has a few other tips to help keep your pets happy and safe this time of year. Watch the video below for our top Valentine’s Day safety tips.
A few more things you’ll want to remember this Valentine’s Day:
While thorn-less roses are okay, when sending a floral arrangement to someone with a cat, ensure that it contains no lilies—and when receiving an arrangement, sift through it and remove all potentially dangerous flora. If your pet is suffering from symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea, they may have ingested a toxic plant.
Life Is Sweet
Chocolate isn’t the only dangerous dessert you should look out for. Make sure not to let pets near any treats sweetened with xylitol. If ingested, gum, candy and other treats that include this sweetener can result in hypoglycemia—a sudden drop in blood sugar. This can cause your pet to suffer depression, loss of coordination and seizures.
Playing with Fire
While it is nice to set your evening aglow with candlelight, be sure to put out the fire when you leave the room. Pawing kittens and nosy pooches can burn themselves or cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles.
If you suspect your pet has been exposed to any poisonous substances, contact your veterinarian or call Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 888-426-4435 immediately.